The Systems and Web Librarian is a key position for the College’s Library & Learning Commons. This faculty member explores, recommends, and assists in the implementation of innovative strategies that promote contemporary information literacy within the College and among its partner institutions of higher education.
Summary: Provides all core services outlined in A. through E. below. Responsible for administration and coordination of the Integrated Library System (ILS) and the GRCC Library web site. Values service excellence and student success.
- Actively contribute to the work of the College: Represent the GRCC Library by promoting awareness of the Library’s mission, resources, and services. Participate on GRCC and LLC teams to accomplish strategic planning, department action projects, policy review, and similar work. Extend a message of welcome through safe and comfortable study spaces.
- Information Literacy Instruction: In collaboration with the classroom instructor and the Information Literacy Librarian, design and teach general and subject-focused instruction sessions. Understand and apply Institutional Learner Outcomes (ILOs). Teach database and web search techniques. Promote information literacy campus-wide. Participate in the development and delivery of library instruction to online and distance learners. Create and maintain web resources, subject guides, and instructional materials using course management and presentation software. Develop and administer assessments.
- Liaison Program: Serve as the library’s primary contact for designated departments/programs/academic units, providing active outreach to faculty and staff. Develop print and electronic collections that support the curriculum. Collaborate with library colleagues to develop and implement new programs and technological initiatives that enhance and expand GRCC Library services. Assist faculty members with effective integration of library resources into the curricula.
- Reference Service: Extend general and in-depth reference services to GRCC Library patrons both in person and via electronic channels. Demonstrate broad understanding and experience with all material formats. Reference Service includes regularly scheduled desk hours and may include some evenings and weekends. Instruct and assist patrons in developing research strategies. Create and participate in evolving service initiatives.
- Professional/community Pursuits: Maintain current awareness of emerging information and library technologies, keeping in mind possible local applications. Read professional literature, attend conferences and workshops. Participate in regional and/or national library associations. Actively support Library colleagues, library goals and action projects, and GRCC strategic priorities.
ADDITIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES SPECIFIC TO THIS POSITION
- Serve as liaison to GRCC IT Department for the integrated library system, web page server, and setup of Library PCs.
- Serve on appropriate campus-wide teams relevant to web page services and other information technology tools and resources.
- Coordinate and trouble-shoot daily operation of the GRCC integrated library system (Innovative Interfaces, Inc. [III]); perform backups, upgrades and catalog enhancements.
- Manage, design, and develop library website for optimum exposure and ease of use. Lead library team responsible for the content and presentation of the web site, including the use of existing and emerging social media.
- Compile statistics on use of library system and library web page.
- Maintain GRCC Library’s collaboration with MelCat or other statewide collaborative resource-sharing initiatives.
- Use technical expertise to assist with implementing and maintaining digital library services, including OCLC ILLiad and instructional support materials.
- Provide library staff support and training in ILS and virtual services.
- Master’s Degree in Library Science from an ALA-accredited institution
- Experience with reference and information literacy in higher education
- Recent professional experience managing an Innovative Interfaces system with three years cumulative systems experience
- Portfolio of web page design and implementation projects
- Knowledge, experience, and enthusiasm for evaluating and integrating emerging library technologies
- Ability to work effectively both collaboratively and independently in a diverse, fast-paced, service oriented environment
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
- Proficiencies in office productivity software
- Must be capable of repetitious lifting of objects under ten pounds
- Demonstrated experience maximizing the effectiveness, efficiency, and appeal of instruction and other learning experiences through intentional instructional design
- Experience with the Blackboard Course Management system
- Experience with ILLiad software
- Experience coordinating and implementing digital repository projects
- Working knowledge of server administration
- Working knowledge of one or more programming languages
- Experience in team facilitation
- Project Management expertise
- Experience with virtual reference environments