Social media in libraries is an imperative part of my teaching strategies, outreach, and dedication to literacy instruction. To meet this goal, I’ve worked to develop a library specific social media policy and start the groundwork for putting together a document of best practices. Due to this work, the library has a developed regular posting schedule, maintained relevant and current content, and have a developed social media campaign for events.
From 2011 – 12:
- Facebook “likes” have risen over 400%
- Blog readership has tripled
- Regularly make significant gains in new followers on all of our social media outlets
Roles and Responsibilities
- Research and blog on materials relating to the library, academia, higher education, and other related topics.
- Manage content publishing and posting schedules across all social networks
- Create and administer accounts on the following social networks:
- Design, manage, and administer the library’s blog using WordPress CMS software.
- Create and administer accounts on Disqus, Hootsuite, Tweetdeck, and Bit.ly for managment of social media services.
- Implemented social media campaigns for library events and special occassions
- Design cohesive templates across all servicess
Resources Written By Me
- Social Media Policy
As of 2011, no known working examples of a social media policy exists for academic libraries. This policy was written using examples from public libraries, non-academic institutions, and recommendations from social media professionals. It is also designed to work in conjunction with the college’s Acceptable Use Agreement.
- Social Media Best Practices