A compendium of print and electronic sources used for my research.
Contemporary Fiction Titles
Recently published titles on the Edwardian era
- A Mad, Wicked Folly by Sharon Biggs Waller | Review
- Edwardian Murder Mysteries (#1-4) by Marion Chesney | Review #1, #2, #3, #4
Period Fiction Titles
Published titles during the Edwardian Era (or shortly after)
- BBC History Magazine One of the best, if not the best, jumping off points for history regarding United Kingdom, the continent, and how it also affects the world. I also obsessively love their podcast.
- British Library’s Flickr Search over 1 million images
- British Museum Search over 2 million objects from all periods of history.
- Hathi Trust Large digital repository of materials from nearly 100 institutions worldwide.
- History Pin
- Internet Archive Largest archive of moving images, texts, audio, and other ephemera that is out of copyright or copyright free.
- National Gallery London You can view collections online by artist and by year. Fantastic to see what was being created for your particular time period.
- Old Maps Online
- Project Gutenberg One of, if not the largest eBook collections of out of copyright or copyright free materials.
- Victoria and Albert Museum Search through thousands of images on art and design, create an account to download the images.
- UK Inflation Converter Convert ye olde prices to modern pricing, from 1270-1970
- US Inflation Converter 1913 – Present via Bureau of Labor Statistics
- US Inflation Converter 1774 – 2013 via Measuring Worth
- Wikipaintings Encyclopedia of fine arts.
Topic: Health & Beauty
Topic: Home & Design
- BBC Homes: Edwardian (1901 – 1910)
- British Columbia Historical Newspapers Date range of 1865 – 1924, also designed with the paper’s original look and feel. Thank to @MikeoftheWest for pointing me to this wonderful archive.
- British Newspaper Archive 1710 – Present
- Chronicling America: Historic American Newspapers By Library of Congress. Date range from 1836 – 1922, designed to mimic original look and feel. Thank to @WildBookChase for the tip
- Newsstand: 1925 Virtual newsstand from the summer of 1925, but many of the periodicals listed date back pre-20th century.
- Times Machine: New York Times: Digital archives of TNYT from first publication on September 18, 1851 – December 30, 1922. Designed with the papers original look/feel. [Note: Only available to TNYT home subscribers.]
- Vintage Ad Browser
- The Edwardians: Family Life and Work Experience Before 1918. 453 life-story interviews originally collected as part of the study
- Golden age of English Theatre (1870 – 1920)
(Many academics still consider Edwardian to be very late Victorian)